Re: The story behind UPG and umask.

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 10:09:35PM +0200, C. Gatzemeier wrote:

> The
> path into your home directory is not restricted, just as the path
> others can take to ring your bell at home is not restricted.

Depends on adduser settings. Both, world readable and private home
directories are common.

> All this can work because the primary group of each user is set to a
> private user group (UPG) by default.

This is a bold assumption. In a system where user management is
external (e.g. LDAP), anything is possible and there are no defaults.

> According to [1,2] a UPG is identifiable by

This is wrong. There is no way to differentiate UPG - non-UPG. But I'm
repeating myself ...

Cheers,
harry