Re: Upstream stopped to ship tar.gz file. What to do?

[Artur R. Czechowski]
> BTW, I'm doing also other changes in the package. So, changing the tarball
> is not an only purpose of new package release.
>
> Pro:
> To verify if tarball content is the same as upstream ones, one need
> to fetch both tarballs, unpack them and verify the checksum of each
> file, instead of just checking the checksum of whole tarballs.

bzip2 only has one commonly used implementation, and it hasn't really
changed in a long time, and it doesn't have troublesome features like
gzip -n or --rsyncable, so usually you can check a published checksum
with:

    gzip -cd foo.tar.gz | bzip2 -9 | md5sum -

(Most people use -9, anyway.)

I agree with Russ.  There's no compelling reason to upload a tar.bz2
that has the same content as an existing tar.gz.  At the very least,
you would have to give the tarball a new upstream version number.  Not
worth it.
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/