Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

On Monday, 24. May 2010, Stephen Powell wrote:
> I do understand why a Debian package maintainer does not wish to become
> "upstream".  And I hope that someone who is both willing and able to do
> so steps up to the plate.  But withdrawing it from the distribution seems
> like overkill to me, especially since you want to withdraw it from Squeeze
> and not Squeeze+1.  Lilo, as it exists today, works just fine for my
> purposes.  And apparently it works just fine for a lot of other people too.

I think the best solution for all should be:
Don't drop lilo in squeeze but mark it orphaned. Leave it in Squeeze and
schedule the removal for Squeeze+1. It may be unuseful for most users if the
kernels are too large but if someone uses a (smaller) custom kernel lilo can
be an alternative and in special cases sometimes the only way to go ...

This gives us all more time to test grub2 and other bootloaders and maybe
someone finds a solution for Stephens backup problem (which is a good reason
not to drop lilo now)

Florian