Re: UPG and the default umask

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 04:00:57AM +0200, Thomas Hochstein wrote:
> Felipe Sateler schrieb:
>
> > I mean, is there a reason for why I would want a non-UPG system?
>
> What about a hosting environment where you need to have user files
> world-readable (HTML documents or (PHP) scripts readable by www-data),
> but don't want them readable by other customers? You could achieve
> that by putting all customers in a common group ("users") and setting
> the files 604 or the like.

I think that in a UPG environment you could achieve the same (at least
in the case when there is a certain directory in which all those users
create their files, like /var/www/ or something) with a combination of
a common group, umask 072, and a setgid bit (and most likely a sticky
bit too to prevent deletions) on the shared directory.

--
Stanislav