Re: UPG and the default umask

Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> writes:
> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 02:34:57PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> That's a good idea.  I'm not sure if all UNIX group systems allow one
>> to ask how many users are a member of a particular group, but if
>> there's a way to ask that question at least in those group systems that
>> support it, the implementation should be fairly straightforward.

> The standard getgrnam/getgrgid (or the _r variants) are competely
> portable and give you the list of users who are group members (so a
> simple check through the user list is quick and easy).  From the shell
> "getent group $group" should return an empty user list.

I was thinking more in terms of access restrictions than APIs.  Being able
to ask who is a member of a particular group is a potential privacy
violation, so I wasn't sure if there were group systems in widespread use
that would refuse to tell you any information about anyone other than
yourself unless you had root or similar elevated credentials.