Re: Open then gates

> You need to explain clearly how the umask of 0002 is insecure. If you
> have members in your user private group, then your group isn't private,
> is it? UPG is designed to NOT have anyone else in your group except you.
> So, adding the write bit on the group mode does not affect security in
> the least.

Also as far as I understood from a previous post, this change will only affect
new installations, not existing ones. So even if a user misunderstood the
concept and added other users to his private group, this change does not affect
him.  If the change is documented in the release notes and in the installation
manual of squeeze, I do not see any problems.  Of course you can assume that
the user does not read them and just does stupid things, but this is an
entirely different issue, you can never secure a system against mindless
administrators, no way.

So I see your argument about not to be thought of side effects, but the concept
as such is proved already and the only harm could arise from systems where
users assume the old umask still to be in effect when they update to squeeze
and it will, so what is the problem?

Best regards,

Robert