Re: Parallellizing the boot in Debian Squeeze - ready for wider testing

On 07/05/2010 16:24, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Fri, May  7, 2010 at 15:47:39 +0200, Steve Langasek wrote:
>
>> Upstart doesn't work on any kernels other than Linux.  The original goal was
>> to have a compat layer to pull upstart jobs into the sysvinit system, which
>> would both address the hurd/BSD kernel issues and allow a soft transition to
>> upstart where users could opt to stay with sysvinit, but this compat layer
>> hasn't materialized.
>>
>> So upstart by default in squeeze would require one of:
>>
>>  - a compat layer for non-Linux ports
>>  - an upstart port to kfreebsd (and ideally hurd)
>>  - a decision to drop kfreebsd as a release architecture
>>
> Thanks for the explanation, Steve.
>
> Since 1 and 2 aren't happening, I think we should consider going with
> the third option.  That's assuming there's still time to move to upstart
> before the squeeze freeze; if there isn't, that means we should have
> decided to drop kfreebsd earlier.

I would object to this analysis. Having a compat layer would also allow
to stick to sysvinit on linux ports. I think this is very important because
*lots* of system uses local sysvinit scripts and does not have ported them
to upstart (not even to inserv dependency...)
  If all linux ports are required to switch to an other thing than sysvinit
for squeeze, I think it will be a bad thing for lots of server admin in the
real world. If this is only the default upgrade path, then this would be
a good think.

  About the switch to a new boot system, I reported #576788 to ask for a
good, local, documentation. No answer for now. If it were only me, I would
put this bug RC. But as nobody else complains, I let it normal. I think
that local admin will be hit by hit when they will try to upgrade
their 'stable' Debian server with local specific init scripts.

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0x9D025E87         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A  8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87