Re: Confused by .la file removal vs static linking support

Zitat von Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>:

Le mardi 04 mai 2010 à 10:31 +0200, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort a écrit :
Sorry I don't know what you're talking about. If you can explain it I'll try to
look at the problem.

It’s not a problem, it’s a disagreement over a design choice.

When you do that:
        #include <gtk/gtk.h>

you’re able to use gtk_* functions, but also g_* and pango_* functions,
because the headers are designed so.

Therefore, when you link to GTK+, you need to link explicitly to Pango
and GLib. This is why Pango and GLib are in the Requires field for
gtk+-2.0.pc, and not in Requires.private.

Only when you use symbols from Pango or Glib directly. Having prototypes through gtk/gtk.h is not relevant.

HS