Re: #573127 sphinxsearch should use prefix for utlilities

RS> sphinxsearch is a package that provides binaries like searchd, indexer, etc.

RS> I received bug report #573127 which has the correct
RS> intention behind it that the binaries should be
RS> prefixed.

RS> The problem I am seeing is that any change like this
RS> would affect modules, plugins, and a lot of programs
RS> that interact with SphinxSearch. My particular use case
RS> is in Rails where searchd is a hardcoded value in
RS> plugins that interact with the daemon.

I think now there are few programs which have dependencies
on sphinxsearch. On new program we can file bugreports :)
I think that the patch of Rails will be simple.

RS> What I want to do is mark the bug as wontfix and Conflicts mongosearch-*.

I think it would be wrong idea. User would want install both packages.
Also, next time we will be able to find out other searchd/indexer
programs and will be forced to add another conflicts. I think that
this problem should be resolved now, when we have few users and few
dependencies.

RS> But I am looking for second opinions. What do you think?

Another way: using prefixes in deb-package and add alternative for
name searchd/indexer/etc. But this case You should file a bugreport
for mnogosearch-* to to the same.

--
... mpd is off

. ''`.                               Dmitry E. Oboukhov
: :’  :   email: unera@debian.org jabber://UNera@uvw.ru
`. `~’              GPGKey: 1024D / F8E26537 2006-11-21
  `- 1B23 D4F8 8EC0 D902 0555  E438 AB8C 00CF F8E2 6537