Re: PDF is blocked for printing, etc. OK for acroread (it behaves as expected), but KPDF allows me to print it, even if it is protected! Why?

Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

> Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
>> Pdf "anti-features" are fake security. Don't trust on them, never.
> And what do you suggest if one wants some real protection _and_ the
> benefits of a format like PDF? Thanks.

The PDF specification itself recommends using external encryption in
this case.  From section 7.6.1 of the PDF specification:

  NOTE: Conforming writers have two choices if the encryption methods
  and syntax provided by PDF are not sufficient for their needs: they
  can provide an alternate security handler or they can encrypt whole
  PDF documents themselves, not making use of PDF security.

It is very easy to defeat PDF security in any file that has a blank user
password since it is just up to the application to enforce security.
I've written a detailed explanation of this which I can dig up and send
you if you're interested.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org>