Re: The 'git' Debian package in squeeze and possible mass bug filing

Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Wed, Apr  7, 2010 at 23:10:31 -0500, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
>
>> Now that there is a package available to test with, I would like to
>> file bugs for the affected packages suggesting this change.  I suggest
>> an RC severity since it would be nice to have the name change in
>> squeeze.  I am therefore Cc-ing the release team for their input.
>
> This is certainly not RC.  Please keep the transitional package for
> squeeze, and you can drop it (and make the bugs RC) post-release.

Good catch.  Apparently, the disappearing package trick (see
http://wiki.debian.org/Renaming_a_Package) would not be usable with
lenny package managers anyway, so the only advantage to fixing these
bugs before the release would be to allow users to remove the
transitional package.

Thanks for the hint.

Cheers,
Jonathan