Re: Xen not booting in Unstable

pkg-xen-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org is probably a better bet for Xen
issues (CCd) than xen-devel.

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 22:36 +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> I have tried to run three systems with the new Xen kernel from Unstable and
> the xen-hypervisor-3.4-i386 from Testing.  One of them is working reasonably
> well.  The other two just reboot shortly after loading the Xen kernel (long
> before it gets anywhere near mounting the root filesystem).
>
> Broken system A displays something briefly on screen before rebooting.  Broken
> system B just goes black and reboots.  System A is using the old version of
> GRUB as is the working Xen server.  System B is using the new version of GRUB
> (it's a fresh install of Testing) with the "multiboot" option to load the Xen
> kernel.
>
> So System B's problem could be due to GRUB but System A is happily running the
> Lenny version of Xen and GRUB seems to be working fine.
>
> What is the best way of tracking down Xen fail to boot bugs?

A serial console log would be very useful if you have the hardware
capability. Otherwise adding "noreboot" to the hypervisor command line
(xenhopt in /boot/grub/menu.lst or by hand) will allow you to catch the
error displayed on system A which may help in that case. It's possible
there will be something on system B which is too quick to see as well or
at least see how far you get before the crash.

2.6.32-11 was uploaded yesterday which and included a refresh of the Xen
domain 0 kernel patchset with a bunch of fixes. Did you pick that up or
were you still on -10 at the time?

If you manage to get any logs it is worth including xen-devel as well,
there have been various bug shaken down recently on the list, partially
as a result of the inclusion in unstable I think.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

Nobody can be exactly like me.  Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.
		-- Tallulah Bankhead