Re: Xen support on Squeeze

On 2010-04-06, micah anderson wrote:

> > > Unfortunately it is not fixed.
> > >
> > > We here once migrated to xen and now rely on it, and that gives lots of
> > > frustration. For any loaded domain we still have to run etch kernel,
> > > because lenny kernel constantly crashes after several days of heavy load.
> > > Dom0's run lenny kernel - and with a fix for #542250 they don't crash, but
> > > those are almost unloaded.
> >
> > I was having problems with multiple vCPUs also, under moderate load I
> > would regularly get crashes. I reported my findings in #504805. I
> > swapped out machines, didn't work. When the fix for the xen_spin_wait()
> > came out, I eagerly switched to that, but it didn't fix my problem. I
> > even tried my hardest to switch to the latest upstream Xen kernel to see
> > if that would fix things, but it was way too unstable and I couldn't get
> > it to work at all.
> >

> What do you exactly mean with the 'upstream Xen kernel' ?

The latest xen-kernel, not from Debian. There are a number of them, the
Novell/OpenSuse forward-port of the old-style xenlinux patches, and the
pvops dom0 git tree. The pvops one was the one I was trying to get
working since the other versions of the kernel aren't receiving any
attention and all dev is happening in the pvops.

> > Eventually I stumbled on a way to keep my machines from restarting, its
> > not a great solution, but it stops me from having to deal with the
> > failure on a daily basis. I think that anyone else who is having this
> > problem can do this and it will work. Obviously this is not the right
> > solution, but it works until we can get a fix.
> >
> > First I made sure this was set:
> >
> > /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp: (dom0-cpus 0)
> >
> > Then I pinned individual physical CPUs to specific domU's, once pinned,
> > the problem stops.
> >

> vcpu pinning is not required for a properly working kernel..

It shouldn't be, I agree... but it seems like it is required to keep the
kernel from a daily panic.