Re: Hadoop in Debian, was:Re: Hardware trouble ries.debian.org

This one time, at band camp, Obey Arthur Liu said:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> wrote:
> >
> > I believe, but can't know for sure, that everything what FTP-Master does,
> > could be implemented on top of hadoop.
> > However it means for sure a lot of work and many hardcore sysadmins will feel
> > very uncomfortable to use Java, the language Hadoop is written in.
>
> Isn't there /some/ python/jython support ?
>
> Would you co-mentor such a project as part of a Summer of Code project
> ? Do you know someone who would ?
> It need not be ftpmaster. There are probably other critical debian
> infrastructure which could use this.

Hadoop is not a POSIX file system, as far as I'm aware.  As ftp-master
makes heavy use of things like file locks and hard links, I doubt hadoop
would work without a significant rewrite of the software.

It would probably be helpful to take a look at the dak codebase before
coming up with other solutions to this - any sort of clustering has to
take the software that actually runs the archive into account.

Cheers,