Re: md5sums files... and beyond

Hi,

In case anyone wonders about the status of replacing md5sums with
something stronger _in_ the binary packages, this should be considered
to be suspended until the next development cycle. (at least, from my
PoV).

It have been pointed out that those current checksum aren't sufficient
to validate that an installed package is secure (quoting Joey Hess:
"there are innumerable ways for an attacker to inject bad
behavior/backdoors onto a system without touching binaries originating
from dpkg."[1] and "it's also fairly easy to modify a file in /etc to
provide a backdoor" ...)

Therefore, it should be clear that there is no urgency in replacing
DEBIAN/md5sums as they are  "useful for corruption and local (benign)
modification checksumming." (quoting Russ Allbery[2]).

The initial proposal to replace md5sum with ${better}sum:
  http://wiki.debian.org/Sha256sumsInPackages
should be enhanced with further meta-data. A very early draft is:
  http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/BinaryPackageDescriptor

Regards,

Franklin

[1] [🔎] 20100308225913.GA25043@gnu.kitenet.net">http://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/[🔎] 20100308225913.GA25043@gnu.kitenet.net