Re: Xen, Squeeze, and Beyond

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 23:05 +0300, William Pitcock wrote:
> Hello,
>
> ----- "Ian Campbell" <ijc@hellion.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 11:29 +0100, Olivier Bonvalet wrote:
> > >
> > > But xen-tools have be removed from Squeeze, so I suppose it will be
> > > more difficult to create new installations (require much more work
> > > replace the xen-create-image script).
> >
> > Squeeze (32- and 64-bit) and Lenny (32-bit only) both support
> > installation into a Xen domU using the regular Debian Installer,
> > including preseeding etc. Instructions for use can be seen at
> > <http://wiki.debian.org/Xen#DomU.28guest.29>. Squeeze even supports
> > installation from ISOs into a Xen domU (using the multiarch
> > amd64+i386
> > +powerpc netinst ISO).
> >
> > Is there any way this functionality could be exposed via xen-tools to
> > make it easier to deploy? (I don't know if/how it would fit into the
> > xen-tools model).
>
> xen-tools is similar to ApplianceKit, in that it invokes the same lowlevel
> tools that debian-installer uses to install the guest OS instead of using d-i
> directly.

By "lowlevel tools" you mean debootstrap or something else? d-i does
much more than just the debootstrap phase.

> However, xen-tools is more limited than ApplianceKit in the regard that
> ApplianceKit has functionality somewhat like preseeding.

I'd not heard of ApplianceKit -- I'll check it out, thanks.

Hmm, looks like http://appliancekit.systeminplace.net/ (referenced from
your ITP) is gone ("To change this page, upload your website into the
public_html directory") and www.appliancekit.org (google's result) seems
to have expired.

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell

You mean you don't want to watch WRESTLING from ATLANTA?