Re: Xen, Squeeze, and Beyond

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 17:58 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > But xen-tools have be removed from Squeeze, so I suppose it will be more difficult to create new
> > installations (require much more work to replace the xen-create-image script).
>
> Well, I've been maintaining dtc-xen since Lenny, and it does even more than xen-tools.
>
> DTC-Xen is in Squeeze and I wont give-up on it.
>
> > > 6) Are we communicating this to Debian users in some way?  What can I do
> > > to help with this point?
> > Remind people that Xen is dying and KVM is the present and the future.
>
> This is your own *personal view* on Xen vs KVM thing. I really don't
> see Xen dying despite the 2 years of bad propaganda of the KVM
> supporters. This eroneous view should *NOT* be pushed as Debian's
> official view. Xen is doing well, and there are more chances that the
> dom0 patches will be accepted this year as people improve Xen as
> required for inclusion.
[...]

Xen might be doing well in some distributions but in lenny it has been a
disaster.  We have been stuck with a dead-end branch that no-one has the
time and knowledge to fix.  I believe squeeze will be better due to the
common base kernel version and some support from upstream Xen developers
(particularly Ian Campbell), but it will still lack the wide support
that KVM gets as a project that has been merged into the kernel.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.