Group for hugepages / libhugetlbfs

[re-sending, with proper debian-devel address, sorry for the noise]

Hello,

On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 01:20 +0100, Frank Lin PIAT wrote:
> This ITP was stalled, so I packaged this tool...
>
> * Package name    : libhugetlbfs
>   Description     : Tools and Library access huge pages of memory
>
> ::hugepages::
>  This package contains a number of utilities that will help administrate
>  the use of huge pages on your system. hugeedit modifies binaries to
>  set default segment remapping behavior. hugectl sets environment
>  variables for using huge pages and then execs the target program.
>  hugeadm gives easy access to huge page pool size control. pagesize
>  lists page sizes available on the machine.

I would like some advices on how to handle group for granting permission
to use HugePage/HugeTlbFs. I wonder If I should request a fixed GID...

That group can be used in the following places:

 1. Sysctl's  vm.hugetlb_shm_group = GIDNUMBER
 2. hugetlbfs mount-points permissions
 3. /etc/security/limits.conf's memlock

For #2 and #3, it is possible to use the group name. But unfortunately,
sysctl only accept GID number.

Is this reason sufficient to request a fixed GID? Alternatively, we
could use an init script to do the conversion. I don't like that option
very much, because I think it would be better to let /etc/sysctl handle
it.

What do you think about it?

Franklin

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Hugepages