Re: definition of contrib & buildd inconsistency

Carlo Segre <segre@iit.edu> writes:
>>> An alternative which would remove the inconsistency is to make the
>>> decision that contrib packages will not be built by the officeial
>>> buildd network but have to be built as non-free packages are, on the
>>> unofficial buildd network.
>> If my understanding is current, non-free packages are autobuilt only as a
>> result of explicit whitelisting indicating that there are no license
>> problems resulting from doing so.  I think the same would have to be true of
>> contrib packages, since even *installing* packages from non-free could have
>> license implications that impact the buildd operators.
> OK, in my case pgplot5 has been whitelisted for many years.  Is it
> possible to have these contrib packages whitelisted on the non-free
> buildd network too?

We are currently reworking the non-free support in the buildd
network. In the long term, we want to be able to build whitelisted
packages, and allow contrib packages to use binaries built from
whitelisted package. This is not done yet, but people (more
specifically, Andreas Barth) are working on it.

Marc
--
Fachbegriffe der Informatik - Einfach erklärt
255: City