Re: Suggestions to fix #433462 (add free space info to reportbug)

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> First of all, with your package maintainers hat on, what kind of
> information you'd like? only the value of free MB in the disk? total
> size, free size? also percentage? I think that from a bug report
> point-of-view, only the free megabytes value would do.

The main thing that you'd care about is being able to answer whether
or not free space or free inodes is likely to be a culprit, so you can
triage bugs.

In almost all cases, if there's more than a gigabyte of free space (or
say, more than 10% free) and more than a few thousand free inodes (or
say, more than %30 free), disk space shouldn't be an issue, and no one
cares about those devices. Outputting them just makes the report more
verbose. [Just a "free space/inodes seem ok" line would be enough.]

Otherwise, reportbug can prompt to include partitions which might
actually have a problem. [Here, only the mount points, free space, and
free indoes matter, and anything mounted in deeper directories
(ignoring/var or /usr) can probably have the mount point obfuscated.

Don Armstrong

--
Dropping non-free would set us back at least, what, 300 packages? It'd
take MONTHS to make up the difference, and meanwhile Debian users will

And what about SHAREHOLDER VALUE?
 -- Matt Zimmerman in <gYuD3D.A.ayC.nGB39@murphy>