Re: Bits from the Release Team: What should go into squeeze?

On Sun, 2010-03-14 at 21:57 +0100, Mikael Djurfeldt wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 21:42, Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org> wrote:
> > From a current point of view squeeze will release with kernel 2.6.32
>
> Would it be possible to, instead, release with kernel 2.6.33?

Not a chance.

> I see at least two improvements from 2.6.32 to 2.6.33 that will matter
> a lot to certain subsets of users:
>
> * The TRIM command has been included in the block layer, allowing
> efficient long-term use of SSD drives.

Not really - most of them don't support it and there are some problems
with the semantics of this command that hurt performance.

> * EDAC on the amd64 platform has had many fixes, allowing monitoring
> and control of EEC ram.  Pre-2.6.33 kernels don't support EDAC at all
> on many common systems.

Might be possible to backport.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
I say we take off; nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.