Re: [Rant] Re: Removing the manpage requirement for GUI programs?

On Sun, 2010-03-07 at 09:50 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le vendredi 05 mars 2010 à 17:41 +0000, brian m. carlson a écrit :
> > This still has the problem that I don't know immediately where to get
> > the documentation.  Do I use the GNOME help system?  KDE's?  man?  info?
> > a DVI?  a PDF?  The benefit of manual pages is that there is one uniform
> > way to get basic documentation on a command and how it is to be run.
> > Other documentation can be referenced from that manual page.
>
> This discussion is running into circles.
>
> GNOME, Xfce and KDE maintainers all explained that we have no interest
> in working on manual pages, and our upstreams don’t either.

This is an important information that many people weren't aware of (at
least, myself).

> I will personally just sit on policy §12.1, mark manpage-related bugs as
> wontfix, and, to plagiarize Yves-Alexis, it won’t prevent me from
> sleeping at night.

Your conclusion sounds very similar to the policy's statement:
 ``[programs] should have an associated manual''
(my definition of "SHOULD" is RFC2119 compliant)

Franklin