Re: [RFH] Debian 2.6.32 CONFIG_WIRELESS_OLD_REGULATORY, wireless-regdb and crda
- To: "Luis R. Rodriguez" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Cc: Paul Wise <email@example.com>, Debian Devel <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, Johannes Berg <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Kel Modderman <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org, Kalle Valo <email@example.com>, "John S. Skogtvedt" <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Debian/Ubuntu wpasupplicant Maintainers <email@example.com>, Tim Gardner <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [RFH] Debian 2.6.32 CONFIG_WIRELESS_OLD_REGULATORY, wireless-regdb and crda
- From: "John W. Linville" <email@example.com>
- Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 10:47:01 -0500
- Message-id: <[🔎] 20100301154701.GC2961@tuxdriver.com>
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <1265076642.3040.20.camel@chianamo> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <1265440223.3167.93.camel@chianamo> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <1266646281.3059.30.camel@chianamo> <email@example.com>
On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 01:43:46PM -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> >> > I'd suggest that 'make dist' should include a ChangeLog file in the
> >> > tarball, generated with git2cl or git log or whatever. A NEWS file
> >> > summarising the user-visible changes in each version would also be a
> >> > good idea for both crda and wireless-regdb.
> >> I see little point to maintaining a ChangeLog on these two upstream
> >> git projects, is this something that has to be done on the package
> >> debian/* stuff itself then? Is this required for inclusion into
> >> Debian?
> > The point is that upstream are already maintaining a ChangeLog with git
> > and it'd be nice if they included that in the release tarballs (which
> > don't include the git history) by doing git2cl or git log or whatever in
> > 'make dist' when they create the tarball.
> > The NEWS file is a separate, hand-maintained file summarising
> > user-visible changes between different releases.
> Thanks, I understand now. I just downloaded git2cl:
> I'll include some ChangeLog for the next release. Its up to John if he
> wants to use that as well, he maintains wireless-regdb while I
> maintain crda. The current Debian package puts these two together
> though so something custom is required anyway for now.
FWIW, I don't create the tarballs. Perhaps we could ask Johannes to
do something in his scripts that create them? Beyond that I don't
see much point in checking-in a ChangeLog.
Do you like that git2cl output? It seems rather ugly to me...
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
firstname.lastname@example.org might be all we have. Be ready.