Re: Changes in dpkg Pre-Depends

On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 05:20 +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:

> I don't think this would be worth it, as Marco has also said, if the
> system is hosed but you can still get to the point of obtaining a
> package to install you might as well just obtain the broken files.
> Of course you might have it already on apt's cache, but that's not
> usually the case when you need it. :)

dpkg is useful for more than just installing new packages; a hosed
system might be fixed by removing a package, running maintainer scripts,
both of which dpkg is the right tool for.

Not arguing for or against, just noting that you're being overly
restrictive in your analysis of what a sdpkg might be used for.

-Rob