Re: Misc developer news (#21)

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> Things would be much easier for starters if dpkg would ship its own patch
> helpers like push, pop and create patch. A 3.0 format which is working out of
> the box without installing quilt and without the need to set QUILT_PATCHES
> would be a real benefit for everybody.

quilt will be working out-of-the box on unpacked 3.0 (quilt) with the next
dpkg release, see http://bugs.debian.org/557619 for details. dpkg-source
will create .pc/.quilt_patches and .pc/.quilt_series to indicate where the
patches and series are stored.

Thus you don't need to set QUILT_PATCHES in that case. Furthermore,
if you let dpkg-source create the first patch (debian-changes-<ver>)
quilt will also be autoconfigured for you (you can then use quilt to
rename the patch).

> And the last thing I want to see is that NMUs (or binNMUs) convert a
> package to 3.0 unless the maintainer explicitly agreed to it.

There nothing like that planned. I haven't decided yet if I will change
dpkg-source to build 3.0 (quilt) by default at some point or not.
It will depend on how many package have an explicit debian/source/format,
that's also a reason why I requested the lintian tag.

Feedback welcome at
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=557459 and

BTW a binNMU do not rebuild the source package so it can't convert them.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Like what I do? Sponsor me: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/05/5-years-of-freexian/