Re: Misc developer news (#21)

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 6:08 AM, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
>  As of the time of writing, DEHS is only 45 watch files away from the
>  10000 milestone!. Out of them, only 7480 packages are up to date with
>  regard to upstream.

It is worth noting that not all packages need to be kept up to date
with respect to upstream. In many cases, there are inconsequential
changes in upstream packages which we (in the Debian Perl Group) do
not upload into Debian, because then it wastes lots of bandwidth and
disk space.

So, while this simple statistic - only 7480 packages out of almost
10,000 being up to date - may look shocking, and indeed may be
indicative of a problem keeping a large proportion of archive packages
up-to-date, it is probably not the most precise measure.

It's important not to minimize the need for a more omnipresent MIA
team though, and more cooperative developers at all parts of the
process.

Cheers,

Jonathan