Re: Debian Mobile -- Debian GNU/Linux for mobile devices

> On ven., 2010-02-19 at 11:21 +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> > Maybe Nokia could be convinced to open up some/most of the Maemo5 apps
> > once Maemo6/Meego is out; AIUI, not opening up the UI apps was an
> > initial decision that has been at least partly rethought internally
> > since.
>
> See http://wiki.maemo.org/Open_development/Why_the_closed_packages and
> http://stskeeps.subnetmask.net/maemo.org/openness/pr1.1/

Good to have this information available. It is about what is free and what
is not.

My suggesion for this project is, let's start with re-packaging working
system (including non-free components) into debian-compatible
infrastructure (using "scripts that create debs" where we can't distribute
debs due to all those licensing restrictions).

Thus keep things working and full-functional from the beginning and through
all process.
Having system full-functional is IMO a very important point.
That makes things different from most 'anti-vendor ports' projects out
there. This should help to avoid Deblet's fate [1], and perhaps attract
users, or at last make it possible to continue using device normally while
working on this.

[1] http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=536089

We may try to replace non-free modules by-the-way, when and where possible.

Nikita