Re: GPL-licensed software linked against libssl on buildds!

On 02/02/10 at 01:07 +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> At any rate, here are some facts:
> - A package that builds differently because something is (or is not)
>   installed on the build system is buggy. Period. It has nothing to do
>   with the build system, it's the package.

... but I question that it is a bug that we want to spend time fixing.

> - A clean chroot takes time and processing power. You need to drop and
>   recreate the chroot between builds, upgrade the same Build-Essential
>   packages every time you do an upgrade, copy the apt cache in and out
>   of the chroot (or keep downloading the same packages over and over),
>   and various other things. LVM snapshots fix some, though not all, of
>   those problems, and introduce a few of their own.
>   I don't know about you, but I'd rather have the buildd spend
>   processing power on building packages. Having it fail at producing a
>   good package because the maintainer didn't do a good enough job is
>   nothing new -- they do that all the time.

I think that the question is whether we would rather have the maintainer
spend time fixing those issues, or the buildd spend time dealing with
the consequences of using LVM snapshots.

I personally think that if we have a way to use CPU time to solve a
problem that would require maintainer time otherwise, we should use it.

(I am fully aware that putting more load on the buildds might require
adding buildds. However, I have the impression that the time required to
maintain several identical buildds doesn't grow linearly, so it wouldn't
be a too big problem.)