Re: correct/ideal way to obtain root from a shell script

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 07:30:23PM +0000, Jon Dowland wrote:
> gdp, by default, invokes dpkg to install the generated .deb
> file.
>
> > I’ve been asking to move su-to-root to xdg-utils or
> > debianutils, but the situation is still stuck.
>
> That sounds sensible.  Is there anything I can do to help?

Simply depends on the menu package which provide su-to-root, or
manage to convince xdg-utils upstream to provide xdg-su instead of asking
everyone to switch to policykit ?

> It looks like there might need to be a bit more
> join-the-dots between su-to-root and d-i's "disable root"
> question (to prime $SU_TO_ROOT_SU properly)

We need a solution that still works if user enable root password and disable
sudo after installation. Shadow will note tell you whether root has a password
or not. Maybe menu should have a debconf question (do you use sudo ?) that will
be prefilled by d-i. Technical advices and patches welcome.

Cheers, (Please CC me if you want an answer).
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.