Re: correct/ideal way to obtain root from a shell script

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 22:58:20 +0000 Jon Dowland wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I need to run a command as the superuser inside
> game-data-packager (gdp).  Up until now, I've been
> hardcoding a sudo invocation and depending on sudo.

maybe packaging isn't the best solution to the underlying problem?
wouldn't it be much more straightforward (from a user's perspective) if
the game data files were automagically loaded into an appropriate
location in their home dir rather packaged and installed into the root
file system?

perhaps an additional utility could be provided (runnable with elevated
priviledge via user's method of choice) that packages the data from
their home dir and installs it to the root file system (that is if they
want it to be available for multiple users)?

anyway, just a thought.

mike