Re: Debian policy update (3.8.4.0)

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 09:59:00PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mercredi 27 janvier 2010 à 21:44 +0100, Bill Allombert a écrit :
> > Dear developers,

> > Debian policy 3.8.4.0 has been uploaded today with the following changes:

> >  * An FHS exception has been granted for multiarch libraries.
> >    Permitting files to instead be installed to `/lib/triplet' and
> >    `/usr/lib/triplet' directories. [9.1.1]

> Does that mean we can start working on multiarch-compatible packages
> right now, or would it be a waste of time?

It means that packages may begin installing their files in the multiarch
directories.  The draft multiarch spec is not part of Policy yet, nor is
there a package manager that will successfully cross-install these, so I
wouldn't encourage maintainers to have their packages declare themselves
Multi-Arch: yes without careful coordination with debian-devel.