Re: where is /etc/hosts supposed to come from?

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > In truth, my laptop *does not have an FQDN*.  The concept has no useful
>
> It must have, POSIX provided a way for apps to query it, and apps started
> doing that.  So you need one.  It will be an arbitrary one, but that's fine.

Better correct myself here.  POSIX provides a way for apps to query the
canonical host name, but DOES NOT REQUIRE IT TO BE A FQDN.

So, it provided the notion of a "special name", the canonical host name.

In practice, it has to be a FQDN, but that's due to bad usage by
applications, not a POSIX (or SuSv3) requirement.

And anything that depends on it to be unique in the whole world is broken.

  Henrique Holschuh