Re: where is /etc/hosts supposed to come from?

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 12:21:45AM +0000, Sam Morris wrote:
> What would a hypothetical host that only had IPv6 connectivity do?

It's not "hypothetical".  IPv4 sucks so badly compared to IPv6 that once you
switch your internal hosts to v6-only, you don't want to go back.  While
getting IPv6 connectivity in the first place may be tricky, when you have
it, you can forget about all NAT woes, having to run a series of VPNs
between locations just to get to hosts inside, and so on.
The sooner IPv4 dies, the better.

Brain-dead hostname -f remains one of the few annoyances in such a setup.
At least in etch, you do need a fake IPv4 stub or it will die messily.
It appears that at least this problem has been fixed in unstable, I haven't
tested the new version but if it does work, big thanks, guys!

> We certainly don't have a line analogous to the '127.0.1.1' hack in /etc/
> hosts for ipv6, and I'm not even sure what such a line would look like,
> since ::1 has a /128 netmask.

Aye, this needs to be fixed for machines with intermittent connectivity.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be