Re: quilt 3.0 source format and dpkg-source/dpkg-buildpackage

On Mo, 28 Dez 2009, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > Mind that git-buildpackage with normal 1.0 source format does NOT pollute
> > the git repository, so my expectation is that the 3.0 format does the
> > same, but alas, it doesn't.
>
> Well, if you have the usual quilt rules, you working copy is also modified
> until the next debian/rules clean. Here the clean doesn't unapply the

I disagree:

$ ls ~/.gbp.conf
ls: cannot access /home/norbert/.gbp.conf: No such file or directory
$ git status
# On branch master
nothing to commit (working directory clean)
$ git-buildpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot -S
dpkg-buildpackage: source only, diff-only upload (original source NOT included)
Now running lintian...
Finished running lintian.
$ git status
# On branch master
nothing to commit (working directory clean)
$

So please tell me *what* has changed?

Doing the same with source format 3.0 git status reports hundreds
of differences.

So please do not spread things that are not correct!

> > Is a DD expected to only use quilt in that mode? Arggg.
>
> /usr/share/doc/quilt/README.source

Ah, see my other email, that is the wrong place to give usage instructions,
in my other email I quoted lintian ...

> It's a wiki so people can add their own recommendations over time...
> Do you really expect me to test all vcs-buildpackage and come up with
> tips for them?

Of course nobody expects that, but pushing it as new default format
I would have expected a bit more preparation (although we are far
from having quilt 3.0 as default format).

Be reminded that since months (the first one was I don't remember when)
we get bug reports about "does not build with quilt 3.0". That *is*
a different approach then just implementing a new source format
and make it optional. That is actively pushing maintainers to switch
to that format.

And in this case *I* (speaking for me) expect that some standard tools
for building packages ({git,svn,bzr,dpkg}-buildpackage are tested
and also usage recommendations are given.

On the Wiki page it is stated under "How to convert a source package?"
blabla ..."there are other changes that you might want to do: " but then
no mentioning of any of the problems I have reported.

Again, a normal addition of a new format is something else then a concerted
and active push of all maintainers to switch to that format.

> > since I only need that for the TeX Live packages, and svn-buildpackage
> > is not ready, I am hosed again)
>
> What problem do you get with svn-buildpackage? It doesn't support multiple

I saw the bug report against it, and I am not planning to play around
with quilt 3.0 in packages as complicated as texlive with a format which
creates *for*me* more problems than it gives to me.

> And next time you could ask your questions without doing snide remarks
> about the work done, you will still get answers...

Here I agree, and I am sorry for the bad words.

Best wishes

Norbert
JAIST, Japan            TU Wien, Austria           Debian TeX Task Force
HAUGHAM (n.)
One who loudly informs other diners in a restaurant what kind of man
he is by calling for the chef by his christian name from the lobby.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff