Re: Switch on compiler hardening defaults

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 01:29:48AM +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 11:51:35PM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > What would be a step forward:
> > - Make any code PIC, including binaries (PIE) and static libs.
> static libs would need to be PIE, not PIC.

The differences between PIC and PIE are small. For all relevant
architectures the only difference is to enable the shared libs
assumptions for fPIC.

> This is something that's not properly supported on all our arches.
> Some people will also say it's too big a performance impact.

I would only change this setting on a per-arch basis. It needs an
additional register, but on most arches that should make no visible
difference.

Bastian

--
You're dead, Jim.