Re: [RFC] DEP-6: Meta-Package debian/control field

Daniel Burrows wrote:

> [..]
>   I actually would prefer a Meta-Depends sort of solution.  The
> "dependencies" we're talking about are really not package dependencies
> in the normal sense at all, and we shouldn't be confusing them with
> normal dependencies.  IMO, that basic conflation, while a convenient
> and expedient hack when it was introduced years ago, is the cause of
> our troubles.

Well, we (me and Luca Bruno (not kaeso, the other one)) decided not to use
Meta-Depends because that would've broken meta-packages installed with
$non_compliant_tool .

Other than this, we could carefully plan this change, so that we're sure
that before any metapackage uses this field, the Policy get changed and all
current tools support it.

Kindly,
David

--