Re: New source package formats now available

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 08:51:51PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Currently a package without a patch system needs heavy modifications in
> debian/rules to setup the patch system. So when you want to add a patch in
> debian/patches and not in the .diff.gz, you have to choose a patch system
> in place of the maintainer.

If there is no patch system when you are NMUing, why would you want to
add one ?

> We're not forcing anyone, we make it easier for people to use that patch
> system and we explain why we think it's a wise choice to consider quilt
> as the default patch system to use when you don't have any specific reason
> to pick one over the other.

Note that the squeeze release goal only talks about 3.0 (quilt), not 3.0
(native), which kind of suggests 3.0 (quilt) is being forced down.
That's maybe not what you are thinking, but it's how it feels.

> In general it should work, but you're right that we have a problem
> here with the buildds running an old version of sbuild (there are still
> many buildd in that situation) because they do "dpkg-source -x" outside
> of the buildd chroot where quilt is not installed even if you added
> quilt in your build-depends.
>
> AFAIK newer sbuild should do "dpkg-source -x" in the chroot where quilt is
> installed due to build-depends and the .pc directory is then created
> at unpack time.

OTOH, "dpkg-source -x" should result in the same tree (including the .pc
directory), whatever the status of quilt installation is on the system.
Or if that is not possible without quilt, then dpkg-dev should depend on
quilt.

Mike