Re: Bits from the FTPMaster meeting

Le Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 10:54:18AM +0000, Philipp Kern a écrit :

> there might not be clusters of arm yet but I saw offers for clusters of mips.

Hi Philipp

I also saw this cluster and got quite curious until I realised that most
programs I package are not parallelised…

The day we are contacted to do some genomics on mips clusters it will be very
exciting, but this should come with real support from the groups interested in,
let's not forget we are just volunteers. Preparing for this event with no
indication whether it could happen or not is risky and in my opinion,
prematurate.

If we mean to attract such users, I do not think that the best strategy would
necessarly be having a pre-existing MIPS support of bioinformatics, which I
think is completely beyond our reach and expertise. I think that what would
matter would be to have a healthy MIPS port on one side, and be the best distro
for bioinformatics on mainstream platforms on the other side. This would be a
solid basis to start a collaboration to become a good bioinformatics distro on
MIPS. Just because we can build packages is not the best indicator: most of them
have no regression tests yet, and a significant number of the build failures
I experienced on my packages happen during such tests…

So in conclusion (like a broken disk), with a simple modification of
dpkg-gencontrol, we can stop building on some architectures some packages which
bring them no added value. For new packages, that seems to be enough. For
existing packages, maintainers who want to opt-out of some architectures would
need to submit a patch against the packages-arch-specific file and sumbit a
bunch of dak commands to the release file. This could be consolidated in
batches and I can help for this, so that the work load is minimum, compared to
the gain for everybody.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy