Re: GDM, getty and VTs

Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lundi 16 novembre 2009 à 13:55 +0100, Harald Braumann a écrit :
>>> Just because it is a tradition doesn’t mean it’s the correct way.
>> So far I haven't seen any argument as to why it shouldn't be the correct
>> way.
>
> It’s broken because:
>       * there are race conditions in the way VTs are allocated;
>       * text consoles are statically allocated, which means there are
>         too many for some users and not enough for some others;
>       * the display manager should run on the first VT.

Stupid user viewpoint.  There is an order to the VTs?  I always thought
it was just a 1:1 mapping from the F# keys to tty#.  I've never used
tty1.  My first console session is always tty3, then tty4, then tty2,
and I don't generally go beyond that.  Also note that when GDM is
brought up, it never mentions which tty[that I've noticed I could be
wrong certainly once you are logged in there is no indication] it is on
so if it started on the 'first available' you would have no idea how to
get back to it if you leave it except randomly guessing.  So there is a
value in knowing where it will be.  If it were to randomly shift to tty1
that would strike as change for the sake of change.  I suppose I would
eventually grow used to it, but what's the point?

> X is not always on the same tty. It is only if you use an antiquity like
> xdm. Even with startx, tty allocation is dynamic.

Occasionally X gets on a different tty after it has crashed or
occasionally even after it has been restarted.  In the past I have
literally rebooted the computer to fix this problem...

Travis