Re: Iceweasel and Firefox compatibility

Adam Majer wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 09:57:22AM +0100, Mike Hommey wrote:
>> I just decided I don't care anymore. So here is a deal to those reading
>> this thread. Give me a UA string that:
>> - Doesn't claim to be Firefox (i.e keep Iceweasel in it)
>> - Is compatible with most crappy sites on earth[1] (i.e. Test it. A lot)
>>
>> And I will change it before squeeze freeze.
>
> It is not possible to come up with such a UA string.
>
> Opera does allows per-site configuration of the UA string. Opera lies
> a lot in name of compatibility. Anything else will definitely not work
> on some of the borked sites out there. Might as well keep Iceweasel's
> current UA string.

I'm considering opening up a site where crappy websites are submitted so
that an extension can fetch it every now and then so that when the user
tries to open that website she is presented with a message saying she
should complain (with an url or email address where the complaints should
be sent to) and the website (the extension picking the right UA the website
wants).
That said, any other browser or party could take that data and integrate it
into whatever they want.

I can't think of a better way to stop this ridiculous UA mess. It has to
stop, this silliness has lasted too many years already.

Regards,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer
www.debian.org - get.debian.net