Re: Iceweasel and Firefox compatibility

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 12:02:39AM +0100, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 11:33:42PM +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> (10/11/2009):
> > > Let me suggest adding "(like Firefox/3.5)", but I'm not sure how the
> > > crappy sites parsing the version number will deal with the closing
> > > parenthesis.
> >
> > What about “foo/bar -- similar to baz/quux” to avoid parenthesing
> > issues? Or “like” or “similar to” or “almost like”.
> >
> > Or if “--” is causing grief too, and only name/version are
> > desired: “foo/bar similar/to baz/quux”? Uglier but…
>
> but not conformant with what user agent strings are supposed to look like
> (which is a series of "name/version" possibly followed by "(comment)")

Well, instead of speculating I tried it: I set
general.useragent.extra.firefoxComment to
"(like Firefox/<blah>; Debian-<blah>)" and checked some sites I know to
be sh^W picky:

Bing maps: pass
Yahoo BrowserPlus: pass
Google Gears: pass
Sky TV listings: pass
My lousy bank: pass

If everyone reading this discussion picked four or five sites they know to
filter user agents, Mike would soon have an idea of whether this UA is
acceptable for a large enough majority to make it worthwhile.

--
Jonathan Wiltshire, wondering if he can have change from 2c