Re: Possible MBF wrt common, FHS-compliant, default document root for the various web servers

I haven't read all of the thread yet, but:

On Monday 09 November 2009, Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:
> > > Now, I'm willing to run this, i.e. file bugs against web
> > > servers, wait for them to be fixed, then file bugs against web
> > > applications (if needed, I'm right now looking into a way to
> > > make a lintian check for it, e.g.
> > > package-with-section-web-but-no-files-in-canonical-docroot).
> > > But I don't feel like we're having a clear consensus here, do
> > > we?
> >
> > Well, defining consensus is always a tricky business :), but I
> > haven't heard significant voices against, am I wrong? I'd
> > personally proceed as follow: write a draft document (even a very
> > brief one!) which summarizes the proposal so that people do not
> > need to dig into the thread to follow the evolution. Once we have
> > it, re-post it to the relevant lists (I'd say -devel, -policy,
> > -webapps) and ask for comments.
>
> I'll try to come up with something within the next 24 hours. Don't
>  know yet if it's gonna be a DEP or just another mail but
>  summarizing what we got so far sounds like a plan.

I think it would be best to have a wiki page that lists the problems
you are trying to solve and also possible pitfalls that have to be
taken into account. Then it is easier to check if a proposed solution
would solve the problems while not breaking anything else.

One of the pitfalls is apache2-suexec. It has the document root
compiled in and doesn't allow more than one document root.