Re: Possible MBF wrt common, FHS-compliant, default document root for the various web servers

sean finney <seanius@debian.org> writes:

> something that hasn't really been brought up (i mentioned it on the
> non-webapps thread in -devel already) is that this makes packages
> potentially opened in an unconfigured state.  unless you can ensure that
> the system is only running on localhost, it has some significant
> security implications.  personally i'd rather that /usr/lib/cgi-bin goes
> the way of the dodo, and that packages are required to ship/generate
> webserver config files if they want to function out of the box.

Wholeheartedly agreed, particularly if we can put a management system in
place similar to the (really nice) Apache module management system that
lets admins selectively enable specific applications, which installing
everything into a default CGI-active directory doesn't permit as easily.