Re: Archive section in debian/control

>  - it provides a hint to the ftp team about the section it might belong in
>  - it gives us a way to see when the ftp team and the maintainer disagree
>    about the correct section (reminder mails to the maintainer on override
>    mismatch)
>  - it gives users useful information when inspecting the .deb manually
>  - it gives sensible default values for the Packages file when importing
>    into some package archive other than the official Debian archive

> All are valuable; but none are reasons to reject packages, IMHO.

If we're going to make the section for source packages optional, I would
prefer to just declare the field optional rather than letting the
maintainer set it to a bogus value like "unknown."  I believe the archive
software currently requires a section for the source package, so this
would require other software changes.