Re: Experimental queue?

"Wesley W. Terpstra" <terpstra@debian.org> writes:

> The package MLton is a Standard ML compiler which is itself written in
> Standard ML. To bootstrap the package building process on a new architecture
> requires an initial by-hand cross-compile step (and occasionally some
> source-level patching). Thus, the first upload for a new architecture must be
> a manual upload of a built-by-hand package. Thereafter I need to confirm that
> the autobuilders can build subsequent uploads themselves.
> I intend to bootstrap a few more architectures for this package and wanted to
> know if this would be an appropriate use for the experimental upload
> queue. The intermediate packages are probably more unstable than what one
> expects even from the unstable queue. I was hoping I could get some
> information about the experimental upload queue as I have never used it:
> * Do the autobuilders build packages uploaded as experimental? (eg: to confirm
> a successful port)

The experimental autobuilders do. I think not all archs have one.

> * Is making an unstable upload really as easy as setting the changes file to
> experimental?
> * Can a package uploaded to experimental be migrated to unstable?

No, needs another upload to unstable and another compile.

>  * I definitely don't want this happen automatically
>  * At some point I probably want to push the newest versions from experimental
> to unstable (to facilitate building the new architectures) and then upload a
> new 'final' version that gets autobuilt for all the new targets, landing in
> unstable.
> Finally, how can I determine which debian autobuilders have >1GB of RAM
> (required for a successful build).
> Advice greatly appreciated.

If you find an arch that has a buildd with >1GB and one with <1GB then
please do contact the buildd admin to set the package to excluded on
the smaller buildd.

Anything else see the other mail.

MfG
        Goswin