ITP: stockfish -- strong chess engine, to play chess against

> Package: wnpp
> Owner: Oliver Korff <ok@xynyx.de>
> Severity: wishlist

> * Package name    : stockfish

Hello Oliver, you are supposed to use X-Debbugs-CC and not CC so that
the mail come with its bug number. This way I would be able to reply to
the bug...

> # snip

> Why another chess engine? -- Why another editor?

> Playing serious chess means also to analyze your own moves with the strongest
> computer program currently available. Strength here is a relative
> impression of the user. We give him various possibilitys.

I do not mind another chess engine, especially if it is a good one.
However, packaging of UCI chess engines should be improved with respect to
polyglot so that merely doing 'polyglot stockfish' work.
The chess engine would install a correct stockfish.ini file in
/usr/share/polyglot/engines/ and polyglot would be configured to look
there by default.

In lenny (I did not try sid), you have to look in /usr/share/doc/foo for
a foo.ini file which is often not compatible with current polyglot and
need to be fixed...

Using xboard or scid with a chess engine should be simple, not hard.

Cheers,
Bill.