Re: Is it time to remove sun-java6?

On 09.10.2009 00:03, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
On 2009-10-08, Barry deFreese<bdefreese@debian.org>  wrote:
Hi folks,

A few of us have been discussing the removal of sun-java6.  It is
non-free, orphaned, buggy (including security bugs), and can generally
be replaced by openjdk.  There are only three reverse depends left and
none of them directly depend on sun-java6 but instead dep on java6-runtime.

There has also been some similar discussions in Ubuntu with some users
reporting that some web sites and packages don't work with openjdk but I
have not seen a lot of concrete proof.

My personal feeling is that we either need to remove it or fix it up.

Any thoughts?

We should remove it, it'll be EOLed during the Squeeze time frame and
noone can sensibly fix it. (It's not covered by official security
support, though due to being non-free)

well, stable openjdk-6 has open security issues as well, so there's no difference. and last time I checked with the security team they didn't want to accept updated binaries in -security.