Re: Is it time to remove sun-java6?

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 11:44:21AM -0400, Barry deFreese wrote:
> There has also been some similar discussions in Ubuntu with some
> users reporting that some web sites and packages don't work with
> openjdk but I have not seen a lot of concrete proof.

I might look a naive user here, but with openjdk I still don't have
plugin support in firefox 3.5, whereas it was working with
sun-java*. I'm on amd64 and using icedtea6-plugin, even the most simple
examples of http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/1.5.0/demos/applets.html
do not appear to work.

I know I should have filled the bug report first, but I frankly
discovered only now that the equivalent of old sun-java6-plugin
metapackage is icedtea and that's bring me to another subject: users
should be informed on how to migrate away from sun java6 (even because
it would be a de facto switch from non-free software to free software,
even if it is the same).  Do we currently have a smooth migration path
from the old set of packages to the new set in place for Lenny to
Squeeze migrations?

Before that is in place, I'd consider premature removing sun-java*.

Cheers.