Debian packaging license (was: Re: RFC: DEP-3: Patch Tagging Guidelines).

Le Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:33:58AM +0800, Paul Wise a écrit :
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 7:20 AM, Charles Plessy<plessy@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > The dh_make template for debian/copyright induces many developers to put their
> > packaging work under the GPL, and I have already seen packages whose license is
> > otherwise BSD-ish with such patches. If the maintainer suddenly goes MIA and
> > the patch is non-trivial, then in theory if we want to respect what is written,
> > we are stuck with a GPL'ed patch. Therefore, we have an optional License field
> > to make things crystal clear if necessary.
>
> Sounds like dh_make needs a bug report about the default packagaging
> license, could you file one?

Dear all,

we just had a case in the Debian Med packaging team where the upstream author
of software licensed under terms similar to the BSD license got upset to see
the Debian packaging licenced under the GPL, and posted a reminder that GPLed
contributions to his software will not be accepted.

This reminded me of this thread and I filled the bug #540740.

(Note that it is not only about patches, but all the other possible
contributions: documentation, artwork,…)

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,