Re: new package format

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 03:32:43PM +0300, Eugene Gorodinsky wrote:

> On windows a program may contain some optional components, which you
> can choose at install time. This approach (I mean having some main
> package and some required and some optional subpackages inside it) is
> quite user-friendly. Neither dpkg nor apt have this functionality in
> them, and I do not think it's possible to implement it without
> changing the package format.

We do this by having multiple packages.  For example, OpenOffice has
different components: not only are there the different programs (writer,
math, etc.) but there are different language packs.  These are optional
components; for example, since I do not speak Danish, I would not want
to install the Danish language pack.  It would be useless to me.

I agree that this functionality is not built into one single package,
but I think that Debian's way is superior, since it means that I needn't
download data that I don't need, and it is extremely easy to determine
what components I have installed.  It also makes it easy to reuse those
same components in other, unrelated packages.  If groff can make use of
LaTeX hyphenation patterns, then groff can declare a recommends on those
packages without having to necessarily install LaTeX.

+1 713 440 7475 | http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc | My opinion only